No skating on campus, why not?
Last year's International Festival was well-attended. Echo file photo
After a couple months on campus, you've probably seen a handful of guys with skateboards cruising around. Maybe you've seen a flip trick or two. Skating is more than a hobby to me and my fellow skaters.
It's a lifestyle.
Skating is how we express ourselves and connect with each other. But there are a huge amount of people who think skateboarding is extremely dangerous. Even we did before we tried it, but it's not half as dangerous as it seems.
N.C. Central University Campus Police don't seem to agree with us. Everywhere on campus we run into an officer who tells us to get off our boards.
"They always catch me when I'm just cruising," says Javier Lopez, a skater and art freshman. "I've been skating long enough to where I won't hurt myself going down a steep hill or something."
NCCU skaters find it unfair that we can't skate on campus. People can ride bikes, can't they? I've seen it happen.
The only reason officers say we can't skate is because it's a liability. Or that we could hurt ourselves or possibly "bust our heads open."
The officers often exaggerate the potential danger and tell us it's against the rules.
Interestingly enough, the NCCU student handbook has no rule against skateboarding on campus. Statistically speaking, there are about 50,000 skateboarding injuries in this country every year. But there are 500,000 bike-related injuries. That's a difference of 450,000 injuries. Arithmetic tells us skating is safer than biking.
For most of us skaters, skating is how we get to class on time.
For Lopez, who lives in Chidley North, every one of his classes is a nice long walk.
But why walk when you can skate, right?
Not at NCCU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Campus Echo News Articles
Recent Campus Echo News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CAMPUS ECHO
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CAMPUS ECHO NEWS
RECENT CAMPUS ECHO CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor