Hollywood comes to NCCU
Ugly Betty star speaks to students
Actress America Ferrera poses with a fan after Monday Lyceum. Gabriel Aikens/Echo staff photographer
Women make up 50 percent of the work force but only three percent hold CEO positions. Just three of the 50 states have women as their Senators. N.C. Central University students were made aware of these are staggering statistics Monday night when "Ugly Betty" actress America Ferrera talked about the role of women in the world as part of the NCCU Lyceum series.
"I learned from Ferrera that I can help women exceed by uplifting and supporting those who are setting themselves apart and who are focused on their success," said mass communication sophomore James Jenkins.
Ferrera, youngest of six children in a single parent home, informed the audience about various women across the world that have made a difference.
In 2008 Ferrera campaigned for Hilary Clinton because of her position on the health of women and children.
"I felt that I had to take a stand somehow because while I was paying attention to what she was campaigning about all the media seemed to be focused on was her hair and her pants suits," said Ferrera.
"It took me getting really pissed off to feel like I had to do something."
According to Ferrera change will not happen for women unless the minds of men change. She said men around the world have contributed to women having a voice to be heard.
Specifically Ferrera mentioned men such as author Nicholas Kritsoph author of the book "Half The Sky: Turning Oppression into opportunity for Women," and Muthar Kent, chairman and CEO of Coca Cola, who founded the 5 BY 20 initiative to empower five million women entrepreneurs by 2020.
"Woman can make a difference on this campus and around the world by making sure their voice is being heard. Carrying themselves with respect and dignity" says psychology freshman Charmaine Griffin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Campus Echo News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CAMPUS ECHO
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CAMPUS ECHO NEWS
RECENT CAMPUS ECHO CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists