Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

The case of the missing Echos

Published: Thursday, November 18, 2010

Updated: Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:11

I guess the Echo has finally hit the big time. They always say you know you are printing news that matters when certain individuals take it into their own hands to try to conceal what's been written.

On two occasions this semester, the Campus Echo has discovered that our newspapers have been removed from newsstands at specific locations and thrown in dumpsters.

When we wrote the story "Business School Blues," hundreds of newspapers disappeared from the Willis Commerce Building; when we wrote the story "Sociability Shortage in Sociology," hundreds of newspapers disappeared from the Edmonds Classroom Building and the Alfonso Elder Student Union.

I am flattered that we are experiencing the same problems as big school newspapers, such as the newspaper at the University of Utah, UC-Berkeley and the University of Memphis.

But I am troubled that some of my fellow Eagles would stoop so low as to attempt to suppress news that they find inconvenient.

Your behavior is petty and childish. And it will not work.

The Campus Echo Online, where readers all over the world can access the paper, receives upwards of 1,000 hits a day.

When papers get thrown out, people can go there for the stories one is trying to hide.

I am fully aware that these stories have been controversial.

We did not write them to be controversial. We wrote them because we decided they were important, and we put our very best reporting efforts into covering them professionally.

The decision made by some to try to conceal the news is not only distasteful, but also illegal.

Just because the Echo is free, doesn't mean that there's not a hefty price tag behind each copy.

These include production and printing costs, distribution costs, student stipends, wire service expenses, and more.

Additionally, advertisers expect their ads to be seen, not to end up in the dumpster.

According to the Student Press Law Center newspaper theft is a crime. It carries charges including larceny, petty theft, criminal mischief or destruction property.

The Echo will do its best to get to the bottom of this matter.

There are cameras located all over campus, so the next time you think about throwing out the Echo or moving a newsstand, you may want to think twice and see if this is a smart move.

Lastly, The Echo urges University administrators to issue a strong public statement condemning this activity.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In